Home Forums Hammies New Forum for ham operators and those who want to be

Tagged: ,

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Calling all hammies and interested people to chirp in with questions and ideas
      Let’s set up our community of hammies and repeaters so we can pass intel

I’m located in NW NV … in which region are you?

• Wandering SpiritWandering Spirit
      Participant

I am in CT

• TominWYTominWY
      Participant

I am in south central Wyoming

• GeorgeGeorge
      Participant

Every so slowly working on my Technician license.

In the Las Vegas area.

• Twisted GramaKim
      Participant

I’m in South Florida. I don’t know how or where to begin. 😔

• GeorgeGeorge
        Participant

I had made a prior reply…. had links, but it didn’t post
        Youtube has videos to help prep for the test. type something along the line of ” ham technician class ” and pick from the list
        There are several books that can be had, amazon or other online seller, to help study

search for “online ham test” there is one I found and clicked into, did not continue on. Read the requirements for taking the test online.

I am working on taking my license, however I am not proceeding as fast as I would like due to other things happening.

Good luck !

• Catherine ReimCatherine Reim
      Participant

Hi. I am in Philly suburbs. I recently got a Baofeng that has HAM capabilities but am quite clueless. I want to sign up for the online courses soon. I really think this is important to learn how to use it. We have been trying it out with GMRS but not much luck. I did get a better antenna and that helps. Any help is appreciated as I try to work my way up to HAM license.

• GeorgeGeorge
        Participant

Just to say what we all know already. We cannot transmit on any ham radio without the government approval (the license), it is a violation of law. I have heard, but have not confirmed, that in an emergency that rule is void.

That being said, listening is fine. I live in Nevada and have found a local weather broadcast on 162.550Mhz.

I want to be able to go HF so communication out of area is possible. I am to close to power lines to run a mast to support a high antenna and am still bouncing ideas in my head for where to place an HF antenna.

As I said earlier, I am still working to get my ham license along with other projects I am working on.

• TominWYTominWY
        Participant

Consider a vertical trap (Hustler) antenna. That’s what I use, for the same reason. About 14′ tall. Also need to run some “radial” wires on the ground. But, your signal will have a low incidence take off angle and you won’t be able to communicate at any less than 500-600 miles.

• GeorgeGeorge
        Participant

Thank You

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.